My name is Luisa Hilmer, and I am a designer and design historian.
Trained at the University of Fine Arts in Hamburg, my approach towards design is experimental and conceptual.
In 2019, I completed my MA in History of Design at the Royal College of Art and the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. While studying the history of design and material culture, I explored artefacts of the collections. My dissertation research was on Participatory Design in British housing design, comparing historical with contemporary case studies.
Last summer, I was working at Aalto University of Arts and Design in Finland as a Research and Curatorial Assistant to professor Dr Julia Lohmann and the Department of Seaweed. We developed an exhibition about Critical Design that was opened during the Helsinki Design Week 2019. "Critical Tide" is exploring different approaches to critical practice linked to the ocean.
Since August 2019, I am the Chapter Curator for Design Calendar Hamburg being responsible for listing the best design events, talks, workshops and exhibitions in Hamburg every month. Please feel free to check it out:
You can learn more about my credentials on LinkedIn.
FAST FASHION. DARK SIDES OF FASHION
• 20.03. - 20.09.2015 • Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg, Germany
• 05.12.2015 - 03.07.2016 • Deutsches Hygiene Museum Dresden, Germany
• 21.07. - 9.09.2017 • RMIT Gallery Melbourne, Australia
MKG ARTS AND CRAFTS FAIR 2015/2016
• 27.11. - 06.12.2015 • Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg, Germany
• 25.11. - 04.12.2016 • Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg, Germany
JEWELLERY ROOM. WOLFGANG SKOLUDA
• 14.03. - 01.05.2016 • Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg, Germany
ART NOUVEAU. THE GREAT UTOPIAN VISION
• 17.10.2015 - 28.02.2016 • Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg, Germany
FOOD REVOLUTION 5.0
• 19.05. - 29.10.2017 • Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg, Germany
GRADUATION SHOW. ROYAL COLLEGE OF ART
• January 2017 • Royal College of Art London, UK
• 06.09. - 27.10.2019 • Design Museum Helsinki, Finland
• 03.12.2019 - 15.01.2020 • Committee of the Regions Brussels, Belgium
PARTICIPATORY DESIGN CONFERENCE 2020
• Exploratory Paper: "Participatory Housing – Segal's Self-build Method"
June 2020, Pages 68 - 71 https://doi.org/10.1145/3384772.3385156